LASIK

Laser-In-Situ Keratomileusis, is similar to ALK, however, the excimer laser is utilized for improved precision. The surgeon uses a microkeratome (an automated microsurgical instrument similar in design to a carpenter’s plane) to create a corneal flap, as in ALK. The cool laser beam then gently reshapes the cornea, and the flap is closed.

LASIK is an extremely effective outpatient procedure that is suitable not only for higher prescriptions but also patients with moderate to low prescriptions. It can be used to correct even the most severe 1% of prescriptions, and has generated significant excitement in the eye care community around the world.

LASIK dramatically reduces your recovery time (versus PRK) and decreases the chance of many of the procedural risks (compared to ALK). The procedure itself takes only a few minutes to complete and involves minimal discomfort. LASIK requires more technical skill and training than other laser procedures. Surgeons have performed thousands of LASIK procedures with impressive results.

With both PRK and LASIK, the greater your prescription, the longer your procedure takes. Even the most severe prescriptions require only about one minute of laser time and utilize only a topical anesthetic in the form of eye drops.

Although no procedure is perfect, excimer laser technology allows for an unparalleled degree of precision and predictability. This makes laser vision correction, in our opinion, the best procedure available for suitable candidates.

Each pulse of the laser can remove 39-millionths of an inch of tissue in 12-billionths of a second. This enables surgeons to achieve remarkable accuracy while maintaining excellent control throughout the procedure.

LASIK FAQs

What vision can I expect, and when?

  • Down-up LASIKSM, vision is usually good enough to drive the next day – 20/40 and gets better gradually, but faster than PRK.

If the computer and laser are so precise, why can’t I be guaranteed 20/20 vision?

  • The computer-controlled laser is extremely precise to within fractions of a micron. Your visual improvement otherwise depends almost entirely on your individual biological healing ability. There are 3 types of “healers.” 98% of patients will heal in a normal” fashion and enjoy excellent vision (Type 1). The other 2%, to some degree, will heal in a less than normal manner. Either they will heal too little (Type 11) or too much (Type 111) rendering them slightly farsighted, or slightly nearsighted. Again, this 2% is out of the laser’s control and depends entirely on the patient’s healing abilities. Healing time differs between patients. Healing can be improved or changed by the use of medications before or after surgery – this is again where the experience of the doctor counts. The post-operative period care is essential for the patient’s success, and should be managed by an experienced Excimer Laser surgeon.

Can anyone have excimer laser treatment instead of wearing glasses or contact Lenses?

  • According to the president of Visx, Inc. “Over 99% of people who are wearing glasses for distance are eligible for excimer laser treatment”. Virtually anyone using glasses for distance can have them replaced by laser vision correction. 98% of our patients treated achieve 20/20 vision without glasses.

Is there a guarantee of 20/20 vision?

  • 20/20 vision cannot be guaranteed, nor is any guarantee implied. However, our target is to try to achieve 20/20 vision.

Is the excimer laser treatment safe?

  • Since 1988, the excimer laser has been tested in the United States. Side effects are so rare that the FDA has ruled that it is “safe and effective”. Excimer laser treatment (also known as prk) is the safest treatment presently available for vision correction. Down-up LASIKSM uses the approved excimer laser, however does not require FDA approval. It is considered the standard of care and a practice of medicine.

LASIK Testimonials

“I travel from Philadelphia, PA to see Dr. Ortiz. He truly cares about his patients and has made such a difference in my vision. Dr. Ortiz performed glaucoma and cataract surgery.”

~ Veronica Miller, Philadelphia, PA

“I have been experiencing headaches for over 2 years. I was referred to Dr. Ortiz by Dr. Castillo and he recommended a laser treatment. For the first time in my life, I am free of headaches and experience no pain! I would like to thank Dr. Ortiz and the staff at Halpern Ophthalmology for making me feel so comfortable during this experience.”

~ Dee Kauffman, Clayton, Delaware

“After one visit to your office, not only was Rev. Cherry correctly diagnosed, but treated for the condition with the utmost of care and concern, with a feeling that you held a personal concern for her health.”

~ Rev. Gloria Cherry & Addie L. Merchant